Mental Toughness a vital ingredient for business success
Whether you run a business or work for a business, mental toughness is a significant advantage if you have it. Given that mental toughness is about:
- Being able to respond in highly productive way to the negative consequences of the stressors, pressures and challenges you face.
- Being comfortable in your own skin.
- Having a mindset to deal with the ups and downs of life.
- Being clear about what’s important to you.
- Seeing opportunity even in the most challenging of times.
- Having an inner belief to achieve what you set out to achieve
It’s relevance and usefulness to business owners, leaders or employees is undisputed.
What would you experience from a mentally tough person in business?
- Someone who believes they can make a difference in whatever they do.
- A person who uses positive language and expressions (internally and externally).
- They shape what happens to them by focusing on stuff they can actually control.
- Is calm when things go to wrong and takes a measured approach to overcoming setbacks.
- Has a clear imagined idea of what success looks like for them.
- Always has a sense of purpose about the things they do in their role.
- Will do whatever it takes to achieve what they need to.
- Has high standards for themselves – fully expects to achieve what they set out to do.
- More easily sees the positive in different challenges.
- Has a continuous improvement philosophy – never accepting that good is enough.
- Enjoys the work – not afraid to get involved in complex and difficult tasks.
- Is internally driven – doesn’t need external stimuli to keep focused.
- Comfortable putting themselves forward for more work and responsibility.
- Will stand their ground if challenged and is less likely to back down from an intimidating colleague or customer.
Each button below gives details of what will help you develop the mental toughness that will enhance your performance, wellbeing, positive thinking and aspirations.
I attended Steve’s ‘Mental Toughness for Business’ workshop in November 2018. Great course and content. I really liked the mix of activities and discussions. Time went quickly however it didn’t feel rushed. I particularly liked the group discussions and finding out other peoples views. Overall I thought it was great and I learnt some new things which is always goodLisa
Who am I?
Steve Dent. Born Bristol (Clifton the posh part). Husband. Dad. Grandad to 3 awesome little ones (I’m too young!). People Developer. Mazda MX5 Driver. Coach. Trainer. Business Owner. Golfer on way to single figure handicap £70 career earnings. Cyclist – keep crashing. Mountain Climber and descender. Charity fundraiser. NLP master. Mental Toughness specialist. Constant learner. Networker. Network meeting group leader. Mentee. Never stops improving. Son is Glos CCC captain. Coached professional athletes. Led teams. Won awards. Motto: Help Many – Hurt Few – Live Life – Win Some – Lose None. I help people get mentally tougher!
I’ve also set up a closed Facebook group for athletes that want to support each other to develop their mental toughness. You can join HERE
Coaching experience / qualifications (if you need to know this sort of thing)
- Age Group Coach – Gloucestershire Cricket Board U11 to U17 boys (2010 – 2015)
- Head Coach – Gloucestershire County Women Cricket Squad (2015 – 2018)
- England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) Level 3 Performance Coach
- Gloucestershire Cricket Board Coach Education Tutor
- Gloucestershire Cricket Coach of the Year 2014
- Master Practitioner in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Licensed Mental Toughness practitioner
- Experienced trainer with 20 years training experience in several industries
- My son, Chris, is Gloucestershire CCC captain giving me a unique insight into top-level sport for the past 9 years
- Coached professional male and female athletes and academy level players.
Through working together both face to face and online I’ve seen significant improvements in my ability to develop skills quickly, stay calm under pressure and ultimately enjoy playing the game I love. Steve has become a great mentor for me and I can always rely on him to go above and beyond to help me in any way he can! Bhavi