Mental Toughness for Business
For self-employed or employed people who want to be able to prosper under the stresses of a modern workplace.
Mental Toughness Workshops
Mental Toughness is the ability of a person to deal with the stressors, pressures and challenges they face. How to enhance performance, relationships and one’s approach whilst under physical and psychological pressure. It’s often associated with terms such as resilience, grit, character, hardiness etc.
All people in business face stressors, whether in a self employed or employed role. People with higher levels of mental toughness are however better able to respond to the negative consequences of these stressors by either:
- Overcoming the consequences much quicker than more mentally sensitive people or;
- Experiencing these consequences in relatively minor ways compared to others for whom they are much more significant or;
- Eliminating the stressor completely
Published research and case studies from around the world show that Mental Toughness is a major factor in:
- Performance – explaining up to 25% of the variation in performance in individuals
- Positive Behaviour – more engaged, more positive, more “can do”
- Wellbeing – more contentment, better stress management, less prone to bullying
- Aspirations – more ambitious, prepared to manage more risk
Mental Toughness for Business
It’s no secret that the modern workplace presents a wide range of stressors and challenges for both employees, leaders and business owners. We read so much about mental health awareness and gladly people are much more aware nowadays. However, it’s certainly not widespread and often we take reactive approaches rather than proactive. I’ve seen first hand, employers that pay lip service to this and are more punitive than supportive when employees are absent through stress-related issues. I’ve also seen business owners who focus so much on the logistical and process side of their business that they forget to look after themselves.
Research has shown that those who are mentally tough experience significant increases in performance and well-being compared to those who are mentally sensitive. They are better able to deal with the stressors they face and better able to respond to the negative consequences of workplace pressures and challenges.
I’ve found that mental toughness is misunderstood. It’s not about being ‘tough’ in the literal sense of the word, for example, strong, hard, unbending, inflexible, aggressive, firm etc. You don’t have to endure some form of hardship to discover how mentally tough you are. It’s not a macho, male-dominated concept. It doesn’t mean that you are emotionless. It’s not just something that is used solely in sport.
This half-day workshop covers:
- What mental toughness actually is.
- Why it’s important in today’s business world/workplace.
- A detailed look at the four key components of mental toughness in a workplace context.
- An opportunity to self-assess and get a broad view of your current mental toughness.
- Practical activities to develop your mental toughness that you will be able to apply in whatever role you have in business.
These workshops are run in the Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire areas.
Dates, venues and how to book will appear here when available.
Want more information?
Email: email@example.com / Tel: 07815 618905