Mental Toughness for Sports Coaches
For sports coaches who want to develop mental toughness in their players
Mental Toughness for Sports Coaches
You’re a coach (it doesn’t matter what sport you’re involved in). You’ve got your qualifications and you’re competent or better in developing the technical, tactical and physical capability of your players. You’ve always thought that you should do more on the mental side of the sport but you’ve never been sure how. This workshop will show you how to help your players/athletes become mentally tougher.
Mental Toughness is the ability of an athlete to deal with the stressors, pressures and challenges they face in sport. How to enhance performance whilst under physical and psychological pressure. It’s often associated with terms such as resilience, grit, character, hardiness etc.
All people in sport face stressors. Athletes with higher levels of mental toughness are however better able to respond to the negative consequences of these stressors by either:
- Overcoming the consequences much quicker than more mentally sensitive people or;
- Experiencing these consequences in relatively minor ways compared to others for whom they are much more significant or;
- Eliminating the stressor completely
Published research and case studies from around the world show that Mental Toughness is a major factor in:
- Performance – explaining up to 25% of the variation in performance in individuals
- Positive Behaviour – more engaged, more positive, more “can do”
- Wellbeing – more contentment, better stress management, less prone to bullying
- Aspirations – more ambitious, prepared to manage more risk
Mental Toughness Workshops for Sports Coaches
As a sports coach, you always want to get the best out of players. You want to see them perform at their best and get maximum success and enjoyment whenever they practice or compete. Your role is to support them to develop their capability so that they can perform to their optimum level as often as possible.
Research has shown that those who are mentally tough experience significant increases in performance and well-being compared to those who are mentally sensitive. They are better able to deal with the stressors they face and better able to respond to the negative consequences of the challenges that sports always presents.
This 3-hour workshop will:
- Bring to life the term mental toughness in the context of sport.
- Explore the 4 key areas of mental toughness and how these relate to sport.
- Explore in detail how developing in each area of mental toughness will benefit players/athletes, as well as coaches themselves
- Introduce coaches to practical tools to help them to develop mental toughness in their players/athletes.
This is a highly practical workshop and will introduce coaches to mental toughness development activities that they can use with their players/athletes.
- Each part will contain practical activities that coaches can use with their players (and with themselves as well!).
- Coaches attending will practice the activities on themselves during the workshop so that they will have already had experience in how to use them before introducing them to their players/athletes.
- All activities can be used by coaches to help their players develop mental toughness in sport.
- Each participant will receive a mental toughness coaching toolkit containing several activities that they can use with their players.
I’m Steve Dent. I coached cricket for 11 years, working with players of both sexes aged between 8 and 60. I worked hard to develop my knowledge of the game so that I could pass this on and support players to develop their technical capability, their ability to make good decisions and the physical attributes that allowed them to put the technical side into practice. I’ll admit that I spent less time on the mental side of the game, particularly in the early years. Largely because I didn’t know really know how. So I’ve been where you are and I’m pleased to say that after spending the past 4 years developing my knowledge of the mental side of sport, I’m now in a position to support you to develop your knowledge of this.
Coaching experience / qualifications
- Age Group Coach – Gloucestershire Cricket Board U11 to U17 boys (2010 – 2015)
- Head Coach – Gloucestershire County Women Cricket Squad (2015 – 2018)
- England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) Level 3 Performance Coach
- Gloucestershire Cricket Board Coach Education Tutor
- Master Practitioner in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Licensed to administer the MTQ family of mental toughness assessments by AQR International
- Experienced trainer with 20 years training experience in several industries
- My son, Chris, is Gloucestershire CCC captain giving me a unique insight into top-level sport for the past 9 years
These workshops are run in the Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire areas. I can run them at your club for your coaches, at convenient locations for groups of sports coaches or for sports boards/bodies.
Dates, venues and how to book will appear here when available.
Want more information?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 07815 618905