Mental Toughness for Sport
For athletes and coaches in any sport that want to get a real and tangible advantage over others.
Mental Toughness Workshops
Mental Toughness is the ability of a person to deal with the stressors, pressures and challenges they face. How to enhance performance, relationships and one’s approach whilst under physical and psychological pressure. It’s often associated with terms such as resilience, grit, character, hardiness etc.
All athletes face stressors in sport, no matter what level they play at. Competitors with higher levels of mental toughness are however better able to respond to the negative consequences of these stressors by either:
- Overcoming the consequences much quicker than more mentally sensitive people or;
- Experiencing these consequences in relatively minor ways compared to others for whom they are much more significant or;
- Eliminating the stressor completely
Published research and case studies from around the world show that Mental Toughness is a major factor in:
- Performance – explaining up to 25% of the variation in performance in individuals
- Positive Behaviour – more engaged, more positive, more “can do”
- Wellbeing – more contentment, better stress management, less prone to bullying
- Aspirations – more ambitious, prepared to manage more risk
Mental Toughness for Sport
As a competitor in any sport, at any level, you will sometimes experience anxiety, nerves, lack of commitment, lack of self-belief, catastrophic thinking, over thinking and an inability to focus your attention. Hopefully, you won’t experience these all at once but it’s not uncommon to have several that adversely impact your performance and your enjoyment of your sport. Mental toughness is a key element for all sports competitors and those who are mentally tough generally enjoy more success than those who are more mentally sensitive.
You may be a coach and want to know more about how you can support your players, athlete or team to develop their mental toughness. In this workshop, you’ll recognise your own levels first and be introduced to a range of practical tools to help others develop theirs.
This half-day workshop covers:
- What mental toughness actually is.
- Why it’s important in sport and the advantages that mentally tough competitors have over mentally sensitive athletes.
- A detailed look at the four key components of mental toughness in the context of sport.
- An opportunity to self-assess and get a broad view of your current mental toughness.
- Practical activities to develop your mental toughness that you will be able to apply as you compete in your sport.
These workshops are run in the Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire areas. We run open workshops and workshops in clubs and associations.
Dates, venues and how to book will appear here when available.
Want more information?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 07815 618905